Monday 25 March 2013

Quick 'Design Wall' project

Hi!

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was going to make a design wall similar to this one. I have an IKEA canvas print that measures about 118 cm x 80 cm (~46'' x 31''). I didn't take any photos while I was actually making this, but I have some simple instructions. I don't think this is as durable or as awesome as the one described by Elizabeth (see link above), but it was a quick & easy project and it will help me decide if I want to spend the time and effort to build a nice one like hers.


Supplies:
  • Picture frame
  • Batting
  • Masking Tape
  • Scissors
  • Helping hand if you have a large picture

1. Measure your frame that you want to cover. Add ~8 cm extra on each side, enough that you could wrap the batting up and tape onto the wood frame on the back (add more if your frame is thicker).  I had some leftover batting from another project that was a pretty tight fit.

2. Clean a nice spot on the floor, lay the batting down, and lay the picture frame face down, centred around the batting

3. If you have a friend, begin at the middle of one edge of and start taping the batting to the frame adn work your way to the outside. Don't stretch the batting too much or it will tear. I put masking tape on the batting to attach to the frame every 10 cm or so, and I folded the corners very neatly so there wasn't a lot of bulge.

View of the back, sorry I didn't get a better one!


4. You're done! Hang it on the wall (or lean it up against the wall as in my case). Ideally I would like to push pins into mine, and I can't really do that without ruining the canvas. So I'll probably make a nicer one when I have the time and energy.

Tadaa! These are some block-of-the-month from my local quilt store



Here's something else I'm working on: 

Pattern: Well-Dressed Bunny by Barbara Prime
Pattern: Well-Dressed Bunny by Barbara Prime
Yarn: Rowan RYC Baby Alpaca (Super Soft!!)
Ravelry link to my project page here


He's almost done, just in time for Easter... just missing some eyes, a mouth and some clothes! Overall it was a good pattern, but it was written for knitting flat and seaming afterwards. I am not very good at seaming so next time I make this I'll try to knit it in the round (and on smaller needles). I also used DK weight yarn instead of worsted, which made my rabbit a little smaller and partially see-thru. I can see the white stuffing inside of him if I look closely!

Take care,
~knittypie