Sunday 27 July 2014

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern- Helpful tips

Hi! I need to tell you about this pattern, the Clara dress pattern from Sew Liberated!
 
 Got my goodies in the mail today! Thanks @goobadesigns ! #fabric #claradress #quilting #sewing
 (Pattern and fabric for another project were purchased from GoobaDesigns on Etsy)


 As soon as I saw this pattern, I knew I had to make it. I jumped right in, and didn't bother to read any more details about it online, which turned out to be a big mistake. I wish I had read some blogs before I started sewing it, and that's why I decided to blog about my helpful tips!

I used some rayon challis polka dot fabric that I picked up at a fabric sale, and it's got a lot of drape to it. Next time I would probably use a cotton blend, but I would definitely go with a drapey fabric again. I sewed up a size somewhere between a size 2-4, although I went back and altered the bodice part because it was still a little big. Anyways, I want to tell you about some issues I had, and some major learnings, which will hopefully help you if you plan to make this dress: 

1: Read the pattern, and log in to Sew Liberated's website for helpful videos on making this dress. I did manage to do that, and without it I don't think this would have turned out as well.

2: I didn't read properly, and missed cutting out TWO center panels, so I wasn't sure if I could even complete the dress.


However, I managed to sew the skirt pieces (with only 1 center panel), fudge around the pieces, omitted the pockets, and made a suitable bottom piece. I used the center panel as the back piece, and had a couple seams near my hips. For the skirt, I tried french seams, so the inside of the dress remained clean & string-free, and I would highly recommend doing this.

Clara Dress- cutting out pattern

3. Make sure you put interfacing in your button placket! I didn't do this and boy do I wish I had. Putting in interfacing will preserve your buttonholes over time, and give the placket a little more "oomph", especially if you're using a drapey fabric like I was. Also, I had some problems with my fabric being too slippery, especially for this button placket step, so I used some starch to keep things a little stiffer.

4. I had to shorten the body by around 2.5 inches so it would fall properly on my waist. I'm about 5 feet tall (155 cm) the pattern was probably written for someone who is ~5'6''. I used my dress form to help me decide how much to shorten by. If you don't have a dress form, just ask a friend to help you pin it to your natural waist while standing in front of a mirror.

Clara Dress- Inside out

Here it is, all finished, with a thin brown belt to accessorize this dress.

Clara Dress